Monday, March 25, 2013

Cheating in Academics | 2 Tim. 2:5

I just had a conversation with a friend to talk him out of cheating. He had been working on a really hard lab for a class for 5 hours and couldn't get it to work. I felt bad for him and really wished him well luck and tried to give him some advice to get it working. He lowered his voice and told me that his friend had supplied him with a code that had worked for his friend. I paused for a moment and gently encouraged him not to copy it and to try to get the lab working by himself or accept the grade he was to recieve.

Now, do not take this lightly. This class is very challenging. I had accepted the fact that I wasn't going to pass this same course a month ago and dropped it after the first exam (I was on the bottom of the curve). So I completely understood his frustration and resolution. However, there is a price to pay when you cheat your way through life.

Over a year ago, I was taking a Linear Algebra class and was out of town for a conference the week before a project was due. I emailed a friend asking her for help and she just sent me her Matlab code. I ran out of time and copied it, while changing some of the variable names. Needless to say, we all got an email from the professor asking us to meet him in his office. I was so nervous! Not for myself, but for the fact that my friends could possibly get involved with whatever consequences I was about to receive. Fortunately, the professor didn't report me for cheating and gave me a D for the project. All in all, I told my friend my story and advised him not to take the quick way to achieve his plans.

2 Timothy 2:5 says:

No comments:

Post a Comment