Monday, October 17, 2011

Count the cost

Luke 14:28 "Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won't you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?"

In any endeavor, whether it be career-related or simply following Christ, count the cost. It sounds simple but seriously. For example, when I decided to study electrical engineering, I never would've imagined what it would've cost me, the repercussions that come with it. I never would've imagined that I would have to make decisions between studying and attending a social event or party at someone's place, and by choosing the former, being called an overachiever. I never thought that the more I would succeed, the more different I would become from those around me.

Even in following Christ, I never would've imagined that I would grow distant from those I considered close. That I'd be boxed in to a super-religious, mystical image that doesn't really identify who I really am. That conversations would be curbed when I enter the room. The assumption that I haven't seen the recent R-rated film because it doesn't seem like my style. The assumption that I don't listen to music! That I don't party because I went all-Christian. (In actuality, I couldn't never stand the smoke and darkness.) That the people I would gossip to would gossip about me.

If you told me all of this, everything I would've lost, I would've called you crazy and say "No way! That will never happen to me". Count the cost of everything you may lose (and you may just lose everything) and see if it is worth it to you.

Of everything I have lost, relationships, time, the old me, what I have gained in return has been more sincere and valuable than anything I ever possessed before. My relationships after following Christ has been more meaningful and authentic, the opportunities more rich. I lost time but gained patience and an inner awareness of mortality, how precious time is and where it should be spent. It has been worth it but oh-so-painful shedding the old life.

Image credit: http://www.friendship-quotes.info/motivational-quotes/its-going-to-be-worth-it/

2 comments:

  1. Amen.

    Thanks for the great post Chelsea. :) God bless!

    --
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3RTg3vBLHE

    Counted the Cost-Cory Asbury

    Counted the Cost
    by Cory Asbury, Anna Asbury, Seth Yates, James Wells, and David Whitworth

    Key: F#m
    Verse 1:
    I peel my hands away from earthly things
    God, I turn my eyes away from all these worthless things
    I lay down honor and fame I’m sick of building my own name
    Lord, let everything I do be for Your glory and Your fame
    Don’t wanna’ be building castles outta sand cuz’ I know they won’t stand
    In the wake of the judgment set to come from Your hand
    When all wood hay and stubble will be burned away
    Cuz’ all flesh is fading fast, only Your word remains

    Verse 2:
    I say goodbye to my father, my mother
    I cling to You and You alone I’ll have no other
    This one thing I do, I leave it all behind
    Cuz’ You said if I searched then it’s You that I would find
    I fight the fight of faith, I run the race
    Just give me grace that I could seek Your face
    So until the day that I die, I’ll be living my life
    So in the end when You return I’ll obtain the prize

    Chorus:
    F#m
    I’ve counted the cost; I count it all as loss, for the sake of knowing You
    Until that day when I see You face to face, find me taking up my cross
    I lay it all down, that I’d be found, a pleasing sacrifice
    I’m living for another day, living for another age, Your kingdom come on earth

    Tag:
    F#m
    One day He’s gonna’ split the sky, One day He’s gonna’ come for His bride
    I know it, I know it, I know it, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Cory is saying exactly what's on my mind!

    ReplyDelete